You may have tried to complete a key hire in the past only to find after 18 months or so that the wrong person was hired for a critically important role. When a high profile search goes off track people start running for the exits—but, by then it is way too late!
No search can be guaranteed. People and circumstances are way too unpredictable. But, when a search is done in a thorough and professional manner—and the right candidate gets hired— the hiring organization knows it…and so do the many constituents who count on the hired candidate.
Here are a few tips to help assure a good outcome for your organization’s senior level hires:
- Be very clear on what the hired candidate is expected to do, by when….before the search is announced.
- Stick to your guns on your vision of what attributes, experience and style the hired candidate needs to possess and then interview qualified candidates in a consistent and professional manner.
- Ask your questions—then listen. Ask the candidate to elaborate on his or her responses –then listen.
- Tell the candidate what he or she will be expected to accomplish in year 1, 2 and 3 —-then ask what he or she will do to meet your expectations.
- Check the finalist’s references carefully. Make sure he or she really has earned all the degrees and awards claimed on the resume; check driving, criminal and credit records, too.
“Measure twice—cut once….”
If you have questions —please contact us.
Thanks very much,
Keith D. Kulper
KULPER & COMPANY