Broad Institute of Harvard & MIT
Associate Director, Operations: Hung Lab of Infectious Disease
BROAD INSTITUTE of Harvard & MIT
Associate Director, Operations HUNG Infectious Disease Lab:
BROAD INSTITUTE of Harvard & MIT
The Associate Director, Operations is a critically important leader of the Hung Infectious Disease Lab team focused on Tuberculosis research. The successful hired candidate will support and facilitate the research efforts of all HUNG Lab team members engaged in tuberculosis research. This is a vitally important job requiring an experienced and dedicated professional with the necessary technical and people management skills to help the lab meet its goals and objectives with respect to current and new funded research activities. The Associate Director, Operations will work closely with senior lab associates as well as post doc research scientists currently engaged in conducting vital research relating to tuberculosis. The job comes with significant expectations from all members of the Broad Institute because of its importance in facilitating daily research activities of the lab and new initiatives of the lab director, Dr. Deborah Hung.
This is a career defining opportunity for an experienced and qualified research professional with mature communications and managerial skills who also possesses a strong desire to work at the forefront of infectious disease research focused on tuberculosis.
The Broad Institute is a collaborative effort of MIT & Harvard and is located in heart of the dynamic biotech center that has blossomed in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Dr. Eric Lander, is the founder and director of the Broad Institute as well as a principal leader of the international Human Genome Project.
As stated by the founders:
The Eli and Edythe L. Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT is founded on two core beliefs:
1. This generation has a historic opportunity and responsibility to transform medicine by using systematic approaches in the biological sciences to dramatically accelerate the understanding and treatment of disease.
2. To fulfill this mission, we need new kinds of research institutions, with a deeply collaborative spirit across disciplines and organizations, and having the capacity to tackle ambitious challenges.
Required Experience, Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
Associate Director, Operations
· PhD in microbiology or related field.
· A minimum of 10 years of progressively more responsible managerial experience in an immunology lab---preferably at an academic institution and/or biotech/pharmaceutical company.
· Demonstrated proficiency in the field of immunology/infectious disease along with the strong knowledge of scientific concepts and effective research practices/procedures.
· Strong track record leading and successfully managing research projects.
· Proven people management skills relating to the effective completion of lab team member goals and objectives.
· Solid desire to learn and apply new scientific concept that will speed the accomplishment of lab team member goals and objectives.
· Excellent balance of managerial and technical skills; effective staff management/development, technical research, project management, financial and operational reporting and strategic planning.
· A strong sense for balancing what must be done to accomplish immediate priorities of the lab team with longer term challenges and concerns.
· Discretion in handling highly confidential information.
· A genuine ability to foster consensus among diverse stakeholders; skillful and diplomatic in handling challenging situations and in dealing with colleagues across the Broad Institute.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and facility with computer software/systems used in scientific project management, reporting, financial budgeting and other functions of the lab.
· Approachable style, good listener, high degree of emotional intelligence when dealing with all colleagues. Unflappable in stressful situations, strong personal ethics, character and integrity.
Overall Responsibilities of the Associate Director, Operations:
· Coordinate with the lab director to manage and execute the lab’s strategic plans and projects including milestone tracking.
· Help to manage all administrative and operational activities.
· Improve existing operational processes and where appropriate, introduce newapproaches/controls/systems to achieve greater overall efficiencies and effectiveness of the lab.
· Ensure administrative accuracy and timeliness of internal operations and funded project deliverables including performance management/progress reporting to funding foundations and federal agencies.
· Manage project activities and coordinate with Broad Platforms; e.g., the Genomics Platform.
· Serve as the primary contact point between project directors, platform managers and collaborators to help facilitate timely and effective communication, decision making and support of all projects associated the lab.
· Keep all project stakeholders, (e.g., the lab director, research collaborators from other labs, platform managers and Broad senior leaders) updated on relevant operational progress and issues including project milestone progress timelines, data requirements, logistics, and other important elements relating to the effective and timely completion of current and planned research projects.
· Facilitate useful and timely project meetings among key participants/stakeholders to continuously maintain effective alignment of all team member project goals and objectives. Define and effectively communicate team member concerns that could serve to slow or block current project progress or planning for new projects.
Please reply with cover letter and CV to:
MGROPS@kulpercompany.com All responses will be carefully reviewed and treated in confidence.
This is an equal employment offering subject to change at the sole discretion of the Broad Institute