September 13, 2011
Manager, Chemical R&D
Position Summary & Key Responsibilities
This is an outstanding opportunity for a well qualified candidate to join a team of experienced and highly motivated professionals at one of the fastest growing and best capitalized companies in the field of high purity specialty gases and chemicals.
Reporting to the CTO, the new Manager, Chemical R&D will direct the daily activities of a research and development team composed of 5-8 individuals, and coordinate the early stages of the development process with joint development project (JDP) partners and other internal functional areas including health and safety, quality, operations, process development, and process engineering. The position is based in Branchburg, NJ and the bulk of his or her time will be spent working out of the Voltaix facilities there and in Eastern PA, Some travel, including international travel, will be required for the management of present and future JDA projects.
The mission of the Voltaix Chemical R&D Group is to propose and evaluate novel chemistries for synthesizing or purifying molecules currently or prospectively manufactured by Voltaix. The role of the Manager Position is to collaborate with the Chief Technical Officer and the Manager of the Process Development Group to:
1. select appropriate projects to these ends, based on a balance of perceived short-term and long term company needs, opportunities and R&D capabilities, and
2. manage approved projects to well documented outcomes some of which are expected to lead to immediate scale up by the Process Development Group.
In this “hands-on” position the incumbent will serve a dual role as a principal investigator on key projects while initially guiding 3-4 other principal investigators on the R&D team. Over time the group is expected to grow steadily.
The hired candidate will be responsible for the entire budget of the group (approximately $2MM) and allocation of capital and human resources to each project. The new Manager, will work closely with the Senior VP, the CEO and the CTO to define R&D and Intellectual Property strategy, performance targets and measures. He or she will organize product development roadmap sessions, stage/gate reviews (if applicable), process hazards analyses and serve as the R&D administrator in the Voltaix quality system. As appropriate, the Manager, Chemical R&D will author proposals to federal agencies and will work with corporate partners to initiate and negotiate joint development projects.
Experience and Competencies
The ideal candidate will possess 5-10 years total experience in a research organization and two to four years managing a group of three to five individuals, including at least one Ph.D. chemist.
- Excellent oral communication ability will be necessary; e.g., external industry conference presentations as well as internal presentations at Voltaix.
- Project Management—successfully managed several R&D projects at once while delivering quality outcomes on schedule and within budget.
- Mentoring and leading—successfully managed a group of three to five, including at least one Ph.D, Chemist.
- Project approach – proven ability to develop research approach including state of the art understanding and research project planning
Ph.D. degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science with experimentally focused thesis. Expertise in organometallic chemistry is a major plus.
- Capable setting priorities, meeting/exceeding deadlines and budgets.
- Can mentor junior staff and encourage their development as well as work well/effectively with experienced and very capable R&D and Process Development teams.
- Able to integrate and synthesize both technical/ commercial valuation potential and costs.
- An adept technical writer skilled in the preparation of technical articles and non-refereed publications.
- A pragmatic and innovative problem solver.
- Data rational individual with proven ability to process, categorize, and analyze large amounts of data.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality and safety as well as innovation.
Compensation and Benefit Package
The compensation and benefits package for this position is highly competitive. Further details on compensation will be provided to qualified candidates.
Please reply in confidence with cover letter and CV/resume to: MPRD@kulpercompany.com
Interviews will continue until a finalist group is selected.
THIS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY OFFERING
which is subject to change at the sole discretion of the client.