Major Northeastern University
As a key member of the Office of Finance team, the new Controller will have a mission critical job offering multiple opportunities to contribute in a meaningful way to the forward looking and sound financial/ managerial operation of a major university located in the northeast. The hiring team is looking for a real “doer” --a person who will want to roll up his or her sleeves and tackle the job with intelligence, creativity and determination. This is a broad ranging assignment offering ample opportunity for personal growth and development at one of the longest established and finest universities in the country.
The Controller position involves overall responsibility for accounting and financial reporting functions of the Institute including endowment, capital project and reserve accounts and the like. There will be a particular emphasis on working closely with the Office of Institutional Initiatives/Sponsored Research; the department with overall responsibility for managing the financial and administrative aspects of special federal, state and corporate grants which fund special research initiatives of the Institute’s faculty and research associates. The new Controller will report to the Vice President for Finance and Treasurer.
- Financial Statement preparation;
- Support of, and close interaction with, the Office of Institutional Initiatives/ Sponsored Research
- Reporting and Analysis Institute operations, subsidiaries and required tax returns;
- Develops and monitors procedures to ensure compliance of the campus community with applicable laws and regulations;
- Involvement with the upgrade of the existing computerized financial system FRS (Financial Reporting System). An RFP is currently being created by a small committee comprised of senior IT and Financial executives.
- Accounts Payable, Cash Management and Payroll;
- Coordination of External Audits;
- Endowment Accounting;
- substantial experience with respect to the financial/ administration and management process for a division of a large enterprise or the entire function for a smaller sized business or Higher Ed/NFP enterprise.
- a “customer-focused” operating style
- solid understanding of financial analysis tools and techniques.
- Undergrad degree in business, accounting or management;
- Strong Network and PC skills including full MS suite and other relevant data base management programs;
- Solid supervisory and interpersonal skills dealing with all levels of associates at the Institute;
- Strong facility for creating new reports as needed.
- substantial experience in a small higher education institution serving in a key financial and administrative management position
- Graduate degree accounting or management
More information about this position will be provided to qualified candidates by KULPER & COMPANY, LLC.
This is an Equal Opportunity Employment Offering subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of the client.