Major Northeastern University
This is an extraordinary opportunity for the right person to make a major contribution to the growth and development of the university as well as for his or her own career in a setting unparalleled in terms of access to the best minds engaged with this kind of exciting and stimulating work.
The new Vice President Research & Technology Initiatives will have an opportunity to significantly grow the levels of sponsored research and contracts as well as to nurture the development of current and new research aimed at creating intellectual property to be licensed or to form the basis of new enterprises. The institution is known around the world for its breakthrough research in many important fields such as: polymers and other engineered materials, wireless telecommunications, computers, healthcare/ biosciences and many others. The VP of Research & Technology Initiatives will be the university's leadership focal point for innovation and invention working in close collaboration with faculty, student and alumni principal investigators, supporting staff, senior administration as well as outside public and private funding agencies and advisors.
The key objective of the job is to move the university rapidly forward by promoting research in a way that will help build on past success in this area and promote the reputation of the university as an important National center for research. Success from this effort will be judged in terms of how quickly the hired candidate can effectively support developing needs of principal investigators and create new intellectual property that can be brought to market. The outcomes from this effort will serve to bolster the rewards for faculty who engage in this kind of entrepreneurial activity and reassert the institution's proud legacy as a center for the commercialization of new ideas and inventions that benefit the world.
- 15+ years experience in academic/government and/or industry research and technology initiatives nurturing cutting edge "break-throughs" and then winning major research grants and awards to fund them
- Proven academic research leadership/scholarship
- Progressively successful academic administration and/or industry administration appointments that reflect accomplishments complimenting existing and contemplated research initiatives
- A track record of accomplishment built on the development and deployment of innovative and collaborative teams focused on completion of its tasks on time and on budget
- Intellectual property management including negotiating contracts with law firms, venture capital organizations and the like
- Management of the business incubator.
- Close interaction/collaboration with the office of Finance to monitor billings, accounts receivable and manage broader financial matters related to contract and grant research including A-133 audits and the like
- Ensure maximum indirect cost recovery is obtained
- Develop and manage research incentive program
- Oversee operation of university labs in a safe manner that complies with all government rules and regulations and university guidelines
- Direction of lobbying activities at all levels
- Distinguished record of scholarship, teaching, and service appropriate for appointment as a tenured senior faculty member
- Dean or Department Head at major university and/or
- Head of research for government agency or industry lab
- Entrepreneur who has successfully developed patented intellectual property into successful enterprises
THIS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY OFFERING
which is subject to change at the sole discretion of the client.